Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Beginning

This is the first published page of my Blog "Joe on the Bow".

It all started with recently retiring from a career in Law Enforcement and now having the time to pursue all those things that I am passionate about, that work got in the way of, such as Hunting, Fishing, Boating and Exploring.

For the entire month of Feb of this year I went to Uganda with a friend, Adam Neil.


God had laid it upon our hearts to construct a security wall around an orphanage located
in Lira Uganda.  The orphanage was started in 2004 by Christian Life Ministries out of Kampala Uganda.  I had been to the orphanage twice before with Adam and others as part of a team that installed a water treatment system and Solar lighting in the ten homes inside the orphanage.

During our time in Uganda, Adam would take time to type on his Blog "adamneil.blogspot.com" to keep all the folks back in the the U.S.A. updated on our progress, set backs and encourage them to keep us in prayer.  This got me interested in Blogs and I felt that at minimum it would be a way of journaling my adventures that someone else might also be interested in.

So the name I wanted to use for the Blog was "Joe on the Go" but it was already taken.  Then a friend suggested "Joe on the Bow".  Why Bow you ask?  Well I Bow hunt, and also have a boat that has a Bow on it as most boats do.  So it was just a fun goofy play with words.  Anyone that knows me knows I am all about Fun and Goofy.

Speaking of Fun, Goofy and Hunting, has anyone seen the picture of me with my Bow in  the 2013 Crooked Horn Outfitters catalog?  
The model they wanted to use (Tom Selleck) was way too expensive so they selected me because Tom and I resemble each other & I was free.
They even gave me some business cards for free.  Actually I have been working with the fine folks at Crooked Horn for over twenty years helping sell, promote and at times even help design products.


This year myself and the Crooked Horn Crew were at the Safari Club International (SCI) in Reno.  We were able to meet up with an old friend, Bruce Hallingstad who owns and runs the Becharof Lodge near Bristol Bay Alaska.  Bruce invited the gang from Crooked Horn to come up to Alaska this year for some hunting and fishing.

I put together a group of six friends that will be joining me on a six day fishing trip with Bruce and his Guides from 08/02 - 08/08/13.  Later on in the year Lennis Janzen, the owner of Crooked Horn will be joining Bruce for a Bear and Wolf hunt.
Crooked Horn asked that I start blogging about the upcoming fishing trip along with my other antics and of those I hear about in the outdoor world.  I will be trying to post on this blog while we are at camp with Bruce.  Check out Becharof Lodge @ becharoflodge.net  It is a first class operation and his rates are very reasonable for the quality of fishing and service provided.

I will be writing more soon and be doing some changes to the layout and graphics once I figure out how to do some fancy importing and editing.

Joe
Psalms 19:14

























No comments:

Post a Comment